Event detail for site: Kidwelly
c. 1291: Wealth
The priory's wealth, according to the Taxatio compiled for Pope Nicholas IV c. 1291, was £16.
Kidwelly had 121 acres of arable land and five cows; its spiritualities and temporalities were assessed at the modest sum of £16. These figures however give a relative index of monastic prosperity and are not indicative of the house’s income since the churches were assessed at the lowest possible figure they could be let to farm.
Cowley, F. G., The Monastic Order in South Wales 1066-1349 (Cardiff, 1977) pp. 59, 96, 273, 274
Graham, Rose, 'The taxation of Pope Nicholas IVth', Engish Historical Review, 23 (1908), pp. 434-454
Web links (open in new window)
Other events in the history of this site
c.1110: Foundation - Kidwelly was founded as a cell of Sherborne Abbey, which was at that time a cathedral priory. [2 sources]
c.1135: Patronage - When the lordship of Kidwelly passed to Maurice of London he supplemented Sherborne's endowment at Kidwelly. [1 sources]
1223: Destruction - The priory was burnt to the ground by Gruffydd ap Llywelyn. [1 sources]
c.1268: Patronage - At this time Payne de Chaworth was patron of the house.
1284: Visitation - Archbishop Pecham conducted a visitation of the house following Edward I’s conquest. [1 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - The priory's wealth, according to the Taxatio compiled for Pope Nicholas IV c. 1291, was £16. [3 sources]
1377: Poll tax - Only the prior is listed. [1 sources][1 archives]
1379: Poll tax - Only the prior is listed. [1 sources][1 archives]
1403: Destruction - The area was devastated during the Glyn Dŵr rebellion. [1 sources]
1481: Destruction - The church was struck by lightning. [1 sources]
1534: Act of Supremacy - Prior John Godmyston and his monk companion, Augustine Green, took the Oath of Supremacy. [3 sources]
c.1535: Wealth - The Valor Eccelsiasticus records the gross annual income of the house as £38. [2 sources][1 archives]
1539: Dissolution - As a dependency of Sherborne Abbey, Kidwelly was spared from suppression in 1536 and dissolved with its mother-house in 1539. [2 sources]