Monastic Wales.








Event detail for site: Ewenny

1534: Numbers

Two monks and a prior subscribed to the Act of Supremacy.

Bibliographical sources

Printed sources

The Heads of Religious Houses in England and Wales, III, 1377-1540, ed. David M. Smith (CUP: Cambridge, 2008) p. 107

Web links (open in new window)

Image of Oath of allegiance to Henry VIII and his successors, 1534 (View website)

Transcript and translation of oath of allegiance to Henry VIII, 1534 (View website)


Other events in the history of this site

pre 1131Foundation - It is not known when precisely Ewenny Priory was founded but it had its origins before 1131 when William of London (d. 1131), lord of Ogmore Castle, gave the church of St Michael there to St Peter’s, Gloucester, to establish a cell.  [4 sources]
1141Re-foundation and change in status - Ewenny was raised to conventual status. [2 sources]
1144Burial - The burial of Maurice of London’s sister, Matilda, caused a serious dispute between Prior John of Ewenny and the bishop of Llandaff.  [1 sources]
1284Visitation - Archbishop Pecham conducted a visitation of the house; the injunctions survive. [2 sources]
c.1291Wealth - According to the Taxatio Ecclesiastica Ewenny's income was estimated at £56. [2 sources]
c.1300Patronage - At this time the patron of Ewenny was Payn de Chaworth.  [2 sources]
1400x1415Destruction - The house suffered extensive damage during the rebellion of Owain Glyn Dŵr. [1 sources]
1534Numbers - Two monks and a prior subscribed to the Act of Supremacy. [3 sources]
c.1535Wealth - According to the Valor Ecclesiastcus Ewenny’s gross income was £78 14s. [2 sources][1 archives]
c.1535Stewardship - According to the Valor Ecclesiasticus, the earl of Worcester held the stewardship of Ewenny at this time.
 [1 sources]
1537 (28 February)Custody - Gloucester Abbey leased Ewenny Priory and its appurtenants to Sir Edward Carne for a period of ninety-nine years and for the rather menial rent of £20 10s per annum. [1 sources]
1540Dissolution - The priory was surrendered with Gloucester Abbey on 2 January 1540.  [3 sources]

 
Graphic.