Monastic Wales.

Display site:

Cardiff (Friary)

Order: Dominicans

This small Dominican friary survived for almost three hundred years. Following its suppression in 1538 the site served as a low-status multiple-occupancy complex until its demolition in the nineteenth century (1830-1840). Shortly before their destruction the buildings were occupied by fishermen using the River details of standing remains

Medieval Diocese: Llandaff
Lordship at foundation: Glamorgan
Access: Public
Owned by: Cardiff City Council

Main events in the history of this site

c.1242Foundation - The Dominicans had settled in Cardiff by 1243. Their site was on the banks of the River Taff, near the West Gate of the town. [2 sources]
1291Grant - Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Cardiff and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales. [1 source]
1538Dissolution - The friary was dissolved in 1538. At this time there were just seven friars and the house was in serious debt. [3 sources]
+ 1 minor event. Show minor events

Bibliographical sources

7 Printed sources

show sources

3 On-line sources

show online sources

Archival sources

The National Archives, 'Records of the Exchequer, and its related bodies, with those of the Office of First Fruits and Tenth', (Document), (View website)

Cardiff, OS Grid:ST1778576691
View site details on COFLEIN (RCAHMW database)[new window]