Monastic Wales.

Event detail for site: Cardiff

1173x83: Rebuilding and re-dedication

The church was rebuilt and re-dedicated to St Mary and St Thomas the Martyr.

This work was undertaken by Earl William of Gloucester.
However, the new dedication never really took hold and the house was generally referred to as the monastery of St Mary.

People associated with this event

William (second) earl of Gloucester (patron)

Bibliographical sources

Printed sources

'Accounts of the rectory of Cardiff and other possessions of the abbey at Tewkesbury in Glamorgan, for the year 1449-50', Publications, South Wales & Monmouth Record Society, 2, ed. William Rees (1950) p. 149

Other events in the history of this site

pre 1106Foundation - Robert fitz Hamon granted the church of St Mary with its eight dependent chapels to Tewkesbury Abbey, to establish a cell for five monks. [2 sources]
1173x83Rebuilding and re-dedication - The church was rebuilt and re-dedicated to St Mary and St Thomas the Martyr. [1 sources]
1220Community flees - The community escaped the turbulent conditions in Wales and took refuge at Tewkesbury Abbey. [4 sources]
1233Administration - The prior of Cardiff returned from Tewkesbury to administer the priory's holdings but the weir on the Taff was leased out for five years. [2 sources]
c.1291Wealth - The priory’s holdings were assessed at £20 for the Taxatio Ecclesiastica.  [2 sources]
c.1300Patronage - Patronage of the house was vested in the earls of Gloucester; it then passed to the Despensers and thereafter to the Crown.  [1 sources]
1403Dissolution - The house was dissolved in 1403 although the site may have been abandoned prior to this. [2 sources]
c.1403Destruction - The priory was sacked by the rebel, Owain Glyn Dŵr (d. c. 1416). [1 sources]