Event detail for site: Usk
Visitation conducted by Archbishop Pecham.
Archbishop Pecham was concerned here about the management of the house and the enclosure of the nuns. At Usk, as elsewhere in Wales, he sought to establish a central treasury and a regular system of audit. The nuns were to appoint an experienced priest who would be in charge of their spiritualities and temporalities and who would ensure that the nuns only left the confines of the priory with an appropriate companion, and that none of them stayed in secularsâ€™ houses or remained in their company for more than three or four days.
People associated with this event
John Pecham; Peckam; Peckham , Archbishop of Canterbury
Registrum Epistolarum Fratris Johannis Peckham Archiepiscopi Cantuariensis, Rerum Britannicarum medii aevi scriptores; or, Chronicles and memorials of Great Britain and Ireland during the Middle Ages, 77, 3 vols (London, 1882-1885) vol. 3, pp. 805â€“6
Cowley, F. G., The Monastic Order in South Wales 1066-1349 (Cardiff, 1977) pp. 101-104
Douie, Decima Langworthy, Archbishop Pecham (Oxford, 1952)
Other events in the history of this site
pre 1135: Foundation - Richard de Clare settled Benedictine nuns at Usk before 1135. [1 sources]
pre 1176: Concessions - Richard Strongbow, 2nd Earl of Pembroke (d. 1176) granted an important charter to the priory. [2 sources]
1246: Election - The community received licence to elect a new prioress. [3 sources]
1284: Visitation - Visitation conducted by Archbishop Pecham. [3 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - According to the Taxatio of 1291 the priory had twenty-four acres of arable and its temporalities and spiritualities totalled Â£42 6s. [2 sources]
1322: Patronage - Edward II granted the patronage of the house to Hugh Despenser the Younger (d. 1326), together with the advowsons of Caerleon (Llantarnam) Abbey. [2 sources]
1330: Confirmation - Elizabeth de Burgh confirmed an important charter granted to the house by Richard Strongbow. [2 sources]
c.1360: Bequest - Elizabeth de Burgh (lady Clare) left the nuns Â£6 13s 4d and two cloths of gold. [1 sources][1 archives]
1404: Papal indulgences - Adam of Usk requested the pope that indulgences be granted to attract alms to St Radegundâ€™s chapel at Usk Priory which had been devatsated by warfare. [4 sources]
1440: Burial - Adam of Usk, writer and lawyer, was buried at the house. [1 sources]
1514: Burial - William Bakere willed to be buried before an image of "Blessed Mary of the Priory." [1 sources]
1516: Disputed election - There was a tussle between Joan Harryman and Catherine Kemmys over the office of prioress. [2 sources][1 archives]
c.1535: Wealth - On the eve of the Dissolution the net income of the house, according to the Valor Ecclesiasticus, was Â£55. [2 sources][1 archives]
1536: Dissolution - In June 1536 the priory was surveyed and on 29 August it was dissolved. At this time the prioress, Ellen Williams, resided with five other nuns; she was granted a pension on 28 June. [6 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.