Event detail for site: Carmarthen
pre 1127: Foundation
The site had a long history of religious occupation.
It was initially the ancient 'clas' church of Llandeulyddog, which may have had its origins in the sixth century.From 1110 the site was occupied briefly by Benedictine monks from Battle Abbey, Sussex, whom Bishop Bernard replaced with a community of Augustinian Canons. The founding canons may have come from Llanthony Prima.
People associated with this event
Bernard , bishop of St David's (founder)
Binns, Alison, Dedications of Religious Houses in England and Wales 1066-1216, Studies in the History of Medieval Religion, 1 (Boydell and Brewer: Woodbridge, 1989) p. 127
Other events in the history of this site
pre 1127: Foundation - The site had a long history of religious occupation. [1 sources]
1208: Attempted takeover - William de Londres and the canons of Llanthony Secunda (Glos) seemingly sought to take over Carmarthen Priory although they were later removed. [2 sources]
c.1250: Source compiled - The Black Book of Carmarthen was likely written or copied at the priory. [1 sources][1 archives]
c.1291: Wealth - The Taxatio Ecclesiastica assessed the priory's net income at Â£13 6s 2d. [1 sources]
1377: Clerical poll tax - The prior and five canons [JOHN VEEL, WILLIAM FRANC', GUY WILD, WALTER TAYM (CAYM), JOHN ROBBERT] were each to pay a tax of 12d. [1 sources][1 archives]
1379: Clerical poll tax - Monies required from the community. [1 sources][1 archives]
1403: Destruction - The house was looted and despoiled during the Owain Glyn DÅµr rebellion. [1 sources]
1421 (April): Royal custody - Henry V placed the priory in the hands of adminstrators. [1 sources]
1424: Protection - Protection was granted to the priory which had suffered from the mismanagement of its prior. [1 sources]
1534 (July): Act of Supremacy - Prior Griffin William(s) acknowledged the Act of Supremacy. [3 sources]
c.1535: Wealth - The Valor Ecclesiasticus estimated the priory's net income as Â£91 6s 3d. [2 sources]
1536: Numbers - At this time there were twelve canons. [1 sources]
1537: Dissolution - The priory was suppressed on the 17 February 1537, under the 1536 Act of Suppression. [2 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.