Event detail for site: Ewenny
The house suffered extensive damage during the rebellion of Owain Glyn Dŵr.
The prior of Ewenny helped mount resistance against Owain Glyn Dŵr.
People associated with this event
Owain Glyn D?r; Owen Glendower; Owain ap Gruffudd Fychan , declared prince of Wales (rebel)
Heale, Martin, The Dependent Priories of Medieval English Monasteries, Studies in the History of Medieval Religion, 22 (Boydell and Brewer: Woodbridge, 2004) pp. 50, 84, 170
Other events in the history of this site
pre 1131: Foundation - It is not known when precisely Ewenny Priory was founded but it had its origins before 1131 when William of London (d. 1131), lord of Ogmore Castle, gave the church of St Michael there to St Peter's, Gloucester, to establish a cell. [4 sources]
1141: Re-foundation and change in status - Ewenny was raised to conventual status. [2 sources]
1144: Burial - The burial of Maurice of London’s sister, Matilda, caused a serious dispute between Prior John of Ewenny and the bishop of Llandaff. [1 sources]
1284: Visitation - Archbishop Pecham conducted a visitation of the house; the injunctions survive. [2 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - According to the Taxatio Ecclesiastica Ewenny's income was estimated at £56. [2 sources]
c.1300: Patronage - At this time the patron of Ewenny was Payn de Chaworth. [2 sources]
1400x1415: Destruction - The house suffered extensive damage during the rebellion of Owain Glyn Dŵr. [1 sources]
1534: Numbers - Two monks and a prior subscribed to the Act of Supremacy. [3 sources]
c.1535: Wealth - According to the Valor Ecclesiastcus Ewenny’s gross income was £78 14s. [2 sources][1 archives]
c.1535: Stewardship - According to the Valor Ecclesiasticus, the earl of Worcester held the stewardship of Ewenny at this time.
1537 (28 February): Custody - Gloucester Abbey leased Ewenny Priory and its appurtenants to Sir Edward Carne for a period of ninety-nine years and for the rather menial rent of £20 10s per annum. [1 sources]
1540: Dissolution - The priory was surrendered with Gloucester Abbey on 2 January 1540. [3 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.