Event detail for site: Ruthin
The foundation of the house is attributed to John de Grey (d. 1323), son of Reginald, the first lord Grey of Ruthin.
The house was established close to Grey's seat in Denbighshire.
People associated with this event
John Grey , second Lord Grey of Wilton (perhaps founder)
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) pp. 203-204
Other events in the history of this site
1310: Foundation - The foundation of the house is attributed to John de Grey (d. 1323), son of Reginald, the first lord Grey of Ruthin. [1 sources]
c.1375: Building work - A south aisle was added in the latter half of the fourteenth century.
1478: Papal petition - A monk of the Cistercian abbey of Dundrennan, Scotland, sought papal permission to transfer to Ruthin. [1 sources]
c.1479: Dispersal - It seems that by 1478 Ruthin had failed and the community had dispersed. [3 sources]
1485x1508: Construction work - The construction of the roof of the north aisle is thought to have been undertaken at this time, on account of the heraldry here. [1 sources]
1535: Dissolution - Ruthin was dissolved in 1535 with the lesser religious houses. [2 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.