Monastic Wales.

Event detail for site: St Dogmaels

1188: Hospitality

Gerald of Wales and Archbishop Baldwin stayed at the abbey during their preaching tour of Wales.

'We spent the night in St Dogmaels monastery where we were lodged very comfortably. The next day we were in Cardigan or Aberteivi, which means the spot where the River Teifi meets the sea.
[Gerald of Wales, Journey through Wales, trans. Thorpe, p 171]

People associated with this event

Gerald of Wales; Giraldus Cambrensis , archdeacon of Brecon

Bibliographical sources

Printed sources

Gerald of Wales (Giraldus Cambrensis), Gerald of Wales, The Journey Through Wales / The Description of Wales (Harmondsworth, 1978) p. 171

Other events in the history of this site

c.1113Foundation - St Dogmaels was founded as a priory c. 1113 when Robert fitz Martin, lord of Cemais (W. Wales), granted the ancient church of St Dogmael to the Norman abbey of Tiron, to establish a monastery for a prior and twelve monks.  [2 sources]
1118Status - Permission was granted to raise the priory to the status of an abbey. [2 sources]
1120Change in status - St Dogmaels was elevated from a priory to an abbey. [1 sources]
1138Plundered - The abbey was looted by mercenaries. [2 sources]
1150 -1157Building work - Extensive building work was undertaken. [1 sources]
1188Hospitality - Gerald of Wales and Archbishop Baldwin stayed at the abbey during their preaching tour of Wales. [1 sources]
1246Royal gift - Henry III granted the community twenty marks 'for the fabric of the church'. [1 sources]
c.1291Wealth - According to the Taxatio the abbey was valued at £58 11s 4d. [2 sources]
1296Royal petition - The abbot and convent requested permission to receive rents in Cardigan. [2 sources][1 archives]
1318Clerical taxation - The abbot and convent complained of excessive taxation. [2 sources][1 archives]
1320Royal petition - The abbot and convent requested the king to confirm to them the church of Maenclochog. [1 sources][1 archives]
c.1349Numbers - Numbers fell as a consequence of the Black Death. [1 sources]
1402Visitation - The bishop of St David's conducted a visitation of the house. [1 sources]
1504Visitation - The abbey was visited on 16 July.  [2 sources]
1534Numbers - In 1534 the community comprised an abbot (William Here) and eight monks who subscribed to the Act of Supremacy. [3 sources][1 archives]
c.1535Wealth - According to the Valor Ecclesiasticus the monastery had a net income of £87 8s 6d.
 [2 sources]
1537Dissolution - The house was dissolved on 24 February 1537 under the 1536 Act of Suppression. [5 sources]