Monastic Wales.

Event detail for site: Caldey

c. 1535: Numbers

On the eve of the Dissolution there was only one monk on the island.

Bibliographical sources

Printed sources

Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 106.

Other events in the history of this site

c.1115Foundation - The priory was founded c. 1113x15 by Geva, the mother of Robert fitz Martin, as a dependency of her son's foundation of St Dogmaels. [3 sources]
c.1180Numbers - By the late twelfth century the monastic community at Caldey was seemingly small, with just one or two monks.  
1381Clerical poll tax - PHILIP FADIR, prior of Caldy, is assessed to pay a tax of 6s.8d. [1 sources][1 archives]
1504Visitation - In July 1504 the see of St David's was vacant and the archdiocese of Canterbury undertook a visitation of St Dogmaels and its daughter-house, Caldey.  [1 sources]
c.1535Wealth - According to the Valor Ecclesiasticus the priory had an annual income of £5 10s 11d and tithes of £1 is 11d.  [3 sources][1 archives]
c.1535Numbers - On the eve of the Dissolution there was only one monk on the island. [1 sources]
1536Survey - In late September the priory was surveyed in advance of its suppression. [1 sources]
1537Dissolution - The priory was suppressed with the lesser houses on 8 April 1537, under the 1536 Act of Suppression.  [3 sources]