Event detail for site: St Clears
1378-1409: Papal Schism
Contact between Cluny and her houses in England and Wales was severed.
In 1399 Henry IV released the alien priories which he believed had suffered enormously from the burdens imposed upon them as alien houses.
Graham, Rose, 'The Cluniac priory of St Martin des Champs, Paris, and its dependent priories in England and Wales', Journal of the British Archaeological Association, 3rd series, 11 (1948) pp. 47-48
Other events in the history of this site
1147-1184: Foundation - The priory was founded in the second half of the twelfth century. [1 sources]
1279: Monastic observance - The prior of St Clears was summoned to Barnstaple Priory, another of St Martin's dependencies, to answer questions regarding the state of monastic observance. [2 sources]
1288: Debts - The prior of St Clears (William Arraines) reputedly absconded with debts outstanding to the bishop of St Davidâ€™s who duly seized the priory. [3 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - According to the Taxatio the house had only twelve acres of arable land and its spiritualities and temporalities totalled Â£15 19s 2d. [2 sources]
1294x1414: Custody - During these years the house was generally in royal custody. [2 sources][1 archives]
1305: Wealth - The royal officials valued the cell at Â£8 10s [1 sources][1 archives]
c.1333: Resignation - By September 1333 John Seyer had resigned as prior of St Clears on account of his dissolute conduct. [1 sources]
1339: Custody - On 16 July 1339, Pontius, a monk of St Clears, was granted the keeping of St Clears during the French Wars. [1 sources]
1377: Poll tax - Only the prior is listed. [1 sources][1 archives]
1378-1409: Papal Schism - Contact between Cluny and her houses in England and Wales was severed. [1 sources]
1378: Valuation - By 1378 the value of the priory had increased to Â£19 6s 8d. [1 archives]
c.1414: Dissolution - St Clears was dissolved c. 1414. [1 sources]
1442: Custody - St Clears was granted to All Souls College, Oxford [1 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.