Event detail for site: Llangua
The Carthusian house of Sheen retained Langua and its other Welsh properties until its suppression in 1539.
Hockey, S. F., 'Llangua, alien priory of Lyre', Journal of the Historical Society of the Church in Wales, 27 (1990) p. 12
Other events in the history of this site
pre 1183: Foundation - The priory was founded before 1183 when the manor and church of Llangua were granted to Lyre Abbey in Normandy, to establish an alien priory. [2 sources]
c.1268x1270: Patronage - Edmund (‘Crouchback’), earl of Lancaster and son of Henry III, instigated an enquiry concerning his rights over the priory as patron. [1 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - The Taxatio of Nicholas IV refers to the church of Llangua, held by the procurator of Lyre for 10s. [5 sources]
c.1300: Lands - In the fourteenth century Llangua's holdings in Wales were considered part of the Livers Ocle estate. [1 sources][1 archives]
c.1337: Custody - During the Hundred Years War, the Crown took control of Lyre’s properties. [1 sources][1 archives]
1414: Ownership - Llangua was granted to the Carthusian house of Sheen. [2 sources]
c.1535: Wealth - According to the Valor Ecclesiasticus the manor of Llangua was valued at £2. [2 sources][1 archives]
1539: Dissolution - The Carthusian house of Sheen retained Langua and its other Welsh properties until its suppression in 1539. [1 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.