Event detail for site: Llangua
c. 1337: Custody
During the Hundred Years War, the Crown took control of Lyre’s properties.
Records drawn up at this time, but undated, mention that the abbot of Lyre held the church of Llangua ('Languen') in the diocese of Llandaff, drew a pension of 20s from the prior of Versen, a pension from the tithes in the parish of Troy of 40s pa, a portion (c. 20s) of the tithes of Strigoil; he drew £4 11s in temporalities at 'Languen' and received a total of £8 11s.
Hockey, S. F., 'Llangua, alien priory of Lyre', Journal of the Historical Society of the Church in Wales, 27 (1990) p. 11
The National Archives, 'Exchequer King's Remembrancer: Return of benefices held by alien religious, Llandaff, S Glamorgan', (Document),
Other events in the history of this site
pre 1183: Foundation - The priory was founded before 1183 when the manor and church of Llangua were granted to Lyre Abbey in Normandy, to establish an alien priory. [2 sources]
c.1268x1270: Patronage - Edmund (‘Crouchback’), earl of Lancaster and son of Henry III, instigated an enquiry concerning his rights over the priory as patron. [1 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - The Taxatio of Nicholas IV refers to the church of Llangua, held by the procurator of Lyre for 10s. [5 sources]
c.1300: Lands - In the fourteenth century Llangua's holdings in Wales were considered part of the Livers Ocle estate. [1 sources][1 archives]
c.1337: Custody - During the Hundred Years War, the Crown took control of Lyre’s properties. [1 sources][1 archives]
1414: Ownership - Llangua was granted to the Carthusian house of Sheen. [2 sources]
c.1535: Wealth - According to the Valor Ecclesiasticus the manor of Llangua was valued at £2. [2 sources][1 archives]
1539: Dissolution - The Carthusian house of Sheen retained Langua and its other Welsh properties until its suppression in 1539. [1 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.