Event detail for site: Cardiff
c. 1291: Wealth
The priory’s holdings were assessed at £20 for the Taxatio Ecclesiastica.
This figure is not a true reflection of the house’s income but ‘a relative index of monastic prosperity’ (Graham) since the lands and churches were assessed at the lowest possible figure they could be let to farm.
Cowley, F. G., The Monastic Order in South Wales 1066-1349 (Cardiff, 1977) pp. 274, 96
Graham, Rose, 'The taxation of Pope Nicholas IVth', Engish Historical Review, 23 (1908), pp. 434-454
Other events in the history of this site
pre 1106: Foundation - Robert fitz Hamon granted the church of St Mary with its eight dependent chapels to Tewkesbury Abbey, to establish a cell for five monks. [2 sources]
1173x83: Rebuilding and re-dedication - The church was rebuilt and re-dedicated to St Mary and St Thomas the Martyr. [1 sources]
1220: Community flees - The community escaped the turbulent conditions in Wales and took refuge at Tewkesbury Abbey. [4 sources]
1233: Administration - The prior of Cardiff returned from Tewkesbury to administer the priory's holdings but the weir on the Taff was leased out for five years. [2 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - The priory’s holdings were assessed at £20 for the Taxatio Ecclesiastica. [2 sources]
c.1300: Patronage - Patronage of the house was vested in the earls of Gloucester; it then passed to the Despensers and thereafter to the Crown. [1 sources]
1403: Dissolution - The house was dissolved in 1403 although the site may have been abandoned prior to this. [2 sources]
c.1403: Destruction - The priory was sacked by the rebel, Owain Glyn Dŵr (d. c. 1416). [1 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.