Event detail for site: St Dogmaels
1150 -1157: Building work
Extensive building work was undertaken.
Hilling, John B, Cilgerran castle, St Dogmaels Abbey, Cadw guides (Cardiff, 1992) p. 27
Other events in the history of this site
c.1113: Foundation - St Dogmaels was founded as a priory c. 1113 when Robert fitz Martin, lord of Cemais (W. Wales), granted the ancient church of St Dogmael to the Norman abbey of Tiron, to establish a monastery for a prior and twelve monks. [2 sources]
1118: Status - Permission was granted to raise the priory to the status of an abbey. [2 sources]
1120: Change in status - St Dogmaels was elevated from a priory to an abbey. [1 sources]
1138: Plundered - The abbey was looted by mercenaries. [2 sources]
1150 -1157: Building work - Extensive building work was undertaken. [1 sources]
1188: Hospitality - Gerald of Wales and Archbishop Baldwin stayed at the abbey during their preaching tour of Wales. [1 sources]
1246: Royal gift - Henry III granted the community twenty marks 'for the fabric of the church'. [1 sources]
c.1291: Wealth - According to the Taxatio the abbey was valued at £58 11s 4d. [2 sources]
1296: Royal petition - The abbot and convent requested permission to receive rents in Cardigan. [2 sources][1 archives]
1318: Clerical taxation - The abbot and convent complained of excessive taxation. [2 sources][1 archives]
1320: Royal petition - The abbot and convent requested the king to confirm to them the church of Maenclochog. [1 sources][1 archives]
c.1349: Numbers - Numbers fell as a consequence of the Black Death. [1 sources]
1402: Visitation - The bishop of St David's conducted a visitation of the house. [1 sources]
1504: Visitation - The abbey was visited on 16 July. [2 sources]
1534: Numbers - In 1534 the community comprised an abbot (William Here) and eight monks who subscribed to the Act of Supremacy. [3 sources][1 archives]
c.1535: Wealth - According to the Valor Ecclesiasticus the monastery had a net income of £87 8s 6d.
1537: Dissolution - The house was dissolved on 24 February 1537 under the 1536 Act of Suppression. [5 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.