Event detail for site: Brecon
The friary was founded in 1269.
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 215
Other events in the history of this site
1269: Foundation - The friary was founded in 1269. [1 sources]
1291: Grant - Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Brecon and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales. [1 sources]
1525: Bequest - Sir Rhys ap Thomas, who died in 1525, left £2 13s 4d for new vestments at the Dominican friaries in Brecon and Haverfordwest. [1 sources]
1538: Dissolution - Brecon remained a small friary but was the largest of the Welsh friaries. At the time of its suppression there were ten friars and the community owned about six acres of land and had a small garden. [3 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.