Event detail for site: Rhuddlan
The expense roll of Rhuddlan Castle for 1281 records that a payment of 7s 8d was made to the preaching friars of Rhuddlan for their subsistentce, and 1s 1d for the brethren of the hospital of Rhuddlan.
This is listed under 'alms and oblations'.
Jones, H. L., 'Priory of Dominican Friars Rhuddlan Flintshire', Archaeologia Cambrensis, 2:7 (1847) p. 252
Other events in the history of this site
c.1258: Foundation - The friary was probably founded by Llywelyn ap Gruffudd in or before 1258. [2 sources]
1268: Elevation of prior - Anian (Einion) of Nanneu, prior of Rhuddlan, was elevated to the See of St Asaph. He was succeeded by Kennick. [2 sources]
1281: Payment - The expense roll of Rhuddlan Castle for 1281 records that a payment of 7s 8d was made to the preaching friars of Rhuddlan for their subsistentce, and 1s 1d for the brethren of the hospital of Rhuddlan. [1 sources]
1283: Numbers - At this time there were twenty-three friars. [1 sources]
1284: Inquisition - The prior of Rhuddlan was one of three appointed by Archbishop Pecham to a commission of inquiry to look into the rebuilding and repair of churches damaged during the Edwardian wars. [2 sources]
1285: Gift - Bishop Anian, former prior of Rhuddlan, granted the friars books. [1 sources]
c.1290: Burial - William Freney, archbishop of Edessa, was buried at Rhuddlan. [2 sources]
1291: Grant - Eleanor of Castile gave 100s to Rhuddlan and to each of the other four Dominican houses in Wales. [1 sources]
1370: Bequest - In his will of November 1370 Bishop Gervase de Castro left sixty shillings to the friars of Rhuddlan. [1 sources]
1370: Bequest - Bishop Gervase (de Castro) of Bangor left 60 shillings to the Dominicans of Rhuddlan. [1 sources]
1373: Bequest - Llewelyn ap Madoc, bishop of St Asaph, bequeathed twenty shillings to the friars. [1 sources]
1538: Dissolution - The friary was dissolved in 1538. [1 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.