Event detail for site: Newport
On 8 September 1538 the friary was surrendered to the king's agent by the last prior of Newport, Richard Batte.
1538-9: the accounts of the late house of the Austin Friars of Newport within the bishopric of Llandaff:
'The Houses of the Friars at Cardiff and Newport. First Financial Accounts after the Suppression', in Miscellany South Wales and Monmouth Record Society, 4, ed. H. J. Randall and W. Rees (1957) p. 56
Medieval Religious Houses, England and Wales, ed. R. Neville Hadcock and David Knowles (Harlow, 1971) p. 242
Rees, W., 'The suppression of the friaries in Glamorgan and Monmouthshire', in Miscellany, South Wales and Monmouth Record Society, 3, ed. H. J. Randall and W. Rees (Cardiff, 1954) pp. 13-14
Web links (open in new window)
Medieval and Early Post-Medieval Newport Selected Documentary and Written References relating to its Topography, including to the roads, gates, churches, chantries, town walls, the Great Bailey etc (View website)
Other events in the history of this site
c.1377: Foundation - The friary was founded shortly before 1377 by Hugh, earl of Stafford, seemingly on the site of a chapel dedicated to St Nicholas.
c.1402: Destruction - The friary was destroyed in the Welsh revolt but was rebuilt shortly thereafter thanks to the duke of Buckingham. [2 sources]
pre 1448: Bequest - Hugh, duke of Buckingham, gave twenty-two burgages to the friary. [1 sources]
1482: Bequest - Henry, duke of Buckingham, gave six burgages to the friar. [1 sources]
1495: Bequest - Jasper Tudor, duke of Bedford and uncle of Henry VII, bequeathed twenty shillings to the Austin Friars at Newport. [2 sources]
1538: Dissolution - On 8 September 1538 the friary was surrendered to the king's agent by the last prior of Newport, Richard Batte. [5 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.