Event detail for site: Newport
Jasper Tudor, duke of Bedford and uncle of Henry VII, bequeathed twenty shillings to the Austin Friars at Newport.
Williams, G., The Welsh Church from Conquest to Reformation (rev. edn; Cardiff, 1976) p. 455
Web links (open in new window)
Other events in the history of this site
c.1377: Foundation - The friary was founded shortly before 1377 by Hugh, earl of Stafford, seemingly on the site of a chapel dedicated to St Nicholas.
c.1402: Destruction - The friary was destroyed in the Welsh revolt but was rebuilt shortly thereafter thanks to the duke of Buckingham. [2 sources]
pre 1448: Bequest - Hugh, duke of Buckingham, gave twenty-two burgages to the friary. [1 sources]
1482: Bequest - Henry, duke of Buckingham, gave six burgages to the friar. [1 sources]
1495: Bequest - Jasper Tudor, duke of Bedford and uncle of Henry VII, bequeathed twenty shillings to the Austin Friars at Newport. [2 sources]
1538: Dissolution - On 8 September 1538 the friary was surrendered to the king's agent by the last prior of Newport, Richard Batte. [5 sources]
© All material on this website is copyright Monastic Wales unless otherwise noted.