Monastic Wales.

Display site:

Puffin Island (Priory)

also known as: Priestholme; Ynys Seiriol; Ynys Lannog

Order: Augustinian Canons

A religious community settled on Puffin Island in the sixth century but the community probably became Augustinian in the early thirteenth century, at the same time as its twin settlement, Penmon Priory.

According to Gerald of Wales (d. c. 1223), whenever there was strife within the community a plague of mice would devour the monks' food (Journey through Wales, trans. Thorpe, p. 190).show details of standing remains

Medieval Diocese: Bangor
Affiliated to: Penmon (twin establishment)
Lordship at foundation: Gwynedd
Access: Private
Owned by: Private

Main events in the history of this site

c.1221 x 1237Foundation - A religious community settled on the island in the sixth century and probably became Augustinian in the thirteenth century, at the same time as its twin foundation of Penmon.  [4 sources]
1303Allegations - The bishop of Bangor was instructed to investigate allegations against Gervase de Perrouse, prior of the house. [2 sources]
c.1537Dissolution - The house was dissolved under the 1536 Act of Suppression at some date between 25 February and 13 June 1537. [4 sources]
+ 1 minor event. Show minor events

People associated with this site

Dafydd ap Llywelyn , prince of Gwynedd (confirms charter)

Llywelyn ab Iorwerth; Llywelyn Fawr , prince of Gwynedd (patron)

Priors of Puffin Island

Bibliographical sources

13 Printed sources

show sources

3 On-line sources

show online sources

Related articles on Monastic Wales

Who were the Regular Canons?, Dr Karen Stöber

Gwynedd, OS Grid:SH6517382160
View site details on COFLEIN (RCAHMW database)[new window]