Monastic Wales.

Display site:

Carmarthen (Priory)

also known as: Carmarthen

Order: Augustinian Canons

Carmarthen Priory was founded by Bishop Bernard of St David's (1115-48) and replaced a Benedictine community who had occupied the site for only a few years. The site however, had a longer history of religious occupation for it was originally the ancient 'clas' church of Llandeulyddog, which may have had its origins in the sixth century. show details of standing remains

Also site of: Carmarthen Priory (Benedictine)

Dedicated to: St John the Evangelist; St Theulac (Teulyddog) Medieval Diocese: St David's
Affiliated to: Llanthony I (founding community?)
Lordship at foundation: Carmarthen
Access: Public Access - Parc Hinds recreational grounds in the area now known as Parc Hinds
Owned by: Scant remains

Main events in the history of this site

pre 1127Foundation - The site had a long history of religious occupation. [1 source]
1208Attempted takeover - William de Londres and the canons of Llanthony Secunda (Glos) seemingly sought to take over Carmarthen Priory although they were later removed. [2 sources]
c.1250Source compiled - The Black Book of Carmarthen was likely written or copied at the priory. [1 source][1 archive]
c.1291Wealth - The Taxatio Ecclesiastica assessed the priory's net income at £13 6s 2d. [1 source]
1377Clerical poll tax - The prior and five canons [JOHN VEEL, WILLIAM FRANC', GUY WILD, WALTER TAYM (CAYM), JOHN ROBBERT] were each to pay a tax of 12d. [1 source][1 archive]
1379Clerical poll tax - Monies required from the community. [1 source][1 archive]
1403Destruction - The house was looted and despoiled during the Owain Glyn Dŵr rebellion. [1 source]
1421 (April)Royal custody - Henry V placed the priory in the hands of adminstrators. [1 source]
1424Protection - Protection was granted to the priory which had suffered from the mismanagement of its prior. [1 source]
1534 (July)Act of Supremacy - Prior Griffin William(s) acknowledged the Act of Supremacy. [3 sources]
c.1535Wealth - The Valor Ecclesiasticus estimated the priory's net income as £91 6s 3d. [2 sources]
1536Numbers - At this time there were twelve canons. [1 source]
1537Dissolution - The priory was suppressed on the 17 February 1537, under the 1536 Act of Suppression. [2 sources]
+ 11 minor events. Show minor events

People associated with this site

Bernard , bishop of St David's (founder)

Priors of Carmarthen (Augustinian)

Bibliographical sources

22 Printed sources

show sources

3 On-line sources

show online sources

Archival sources

The National Archives, 'Exchequer, King's Remembrancer, Clerical Subsidies - Carmarthen 1379', (Document), (View website)

The National Archives, 'Exchequer, King's Remembrancer, Clerical Subsidies, - Carmarthen 1377', (Document), (View website)

National Library of Wales, 'The Black Book of Carmarthen', (Document), (View website)

Related articles on Monastic Wales

Who were the Regular Canons?, Dr Karen Stöber

Images of this site

Poll tax return for Carmarthen, 1377

Poll tax return for Carmarthen, 1379

Carmarthenshire, OS Grid:SN4196620445
View site details on COFLEIN (RCAHMW database)[new window]